Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What organizations and consumers are saying.

The FDA has stated that cough and cold medicines should not be used on children under 2, due to the adverse side effects that could occur. The Consumer Healthcare Products Association supports the recommendation of not giving cough and cold medicines to children under 2. Extreme caution should be used when giving the medication to children under 2. The directions must be followed to ensure that exact doses, and not more, are given. Everyone seems to agree that it is best not to give children under two cold medicines. I agree, I do not think children's health should be put at risk over a cold, do you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21034121

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is an issue of putting the child at risk. I have not yet seen what adverse reactions a child has had due to receiving a proper dosage of the medication. I have seen where the child has been overdosed and this poses a health problem. I think you meant children under the age of 2. Also we have to think, children that have fevers along with cold symptoms can take one medication for both. It all comes down to dosage.

Anonymous said...

I just read the following article and it spurred some questions.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_he_me/med_cold_medicines

My main question has to be how are they going to ban cold medications for children under the age of 6 without in essence banning them all? These medications aren't broken into age groups. There are some marketed for specifically infants or toddlers but most labels have age doses on the back and for children under a certain age it suggests to contact a physician first. How do they think they are going to say this age group cant have it but this one can? I myself have a 10, and an 11 year old and I give them cold medication. Am I going to have to switch to giving them adult cold medication like the article said?
They really need to think this through. If they ban it for one age group but not another the group that was banned can still purchase the medication and give it to their younger child.There is no way to monitor this situation without an all accross the board ban and that would be an injustice to the age group not affected by this.